Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Life on a Diet - Week 1

I have just successfully completed the first whole week of my life on a full-fledged diet. Not just the give-up-coke-and-call-it-a-diet diet, but the real deal, all the way, make no mistake about it diet. My dear husband (he prefers that I not use his name in my musings - weirdo) dropped about 25 lbs last year on Weight Watchers Core so in my pursuit of a sure fire weight management program I just followed his lead.

At the beginning of the week I went to the store and stocked up on veggies and whole grains. I consulted the Weight Watcher cookbook and planned healthy recipes and snacks to last us the week. And I have to say, we did sooooo good! Our plates have looked like something out of an advertisment for healthy living. Leafy greens cascading softly to the edges of our plates with a fist-sized portion of lean protein artfully diplayed on the side. I chopped, and tossed, and seasoned all week long in the pursuit of girlish thinness. There were a handful of weak moments where I longed to wrap my lean pork up in a tortilla filled with whole-fat sour cream, some sharp cheddar cheese, rice and refried beans and indulge in a good old fashioned burrito - but I held strong. I am resolute.

So, you would think that all of this effort would pay off, right? You would think that I would see the fruits of the first real diet I have stuck to for more than a few hours in my whole life, right? Well, not so much. This morning we had the weekly weigh in: Husband lost 6 pounds - me - NOTHING. Yes. You read that right. NOTHING. Am I going to give up? I don't know. If I can be 10 pounds up and eat the stinking burrito - and 10 pounds up if I don't - then I ask you, why not just eat the burrito? I am going to have to think about this. Over a bowl of 0-points vegetable soup.

3 comments:

Christi said...

I just had an amazing talk with Roxanne about just this topic! I will fill you in on the details tonight, but suffice it to say, she wants to lead a little group of us in the Catholic weight loss program she partook of last summer. She lost 20lbs, and get this, there are no foods that are "hands off". It is developing a different relationship with food that is God centered and not food centered. Is your interest piqued?!

BettyDuffy said...

I can't imagine you need to lose weight. I thought you were one of those people who is just naturally thin. But I'll be interested to see how this ww.Core program works.

Sharon Kieffer Steele said...

Christi - I don't know, sister. I will bet you 100 Krispy Kreme Donuts that a Chipotle Carnitas Burrito (my favorite) with sour cream, cheese, and refried beans is off limits. If not, it will be that you can only eat a corner of it. No matter how you spoon your condiments there has to be some level of calorie/portion control. Boo.

Betty - I should preface all posts in regards to diet with the disclaimer that I am not talking a *lot* of weight here. Really, I am just going down a bad road that I just need to get off of. This is my effort to rectify an entire lifetime of eating whatever I wanted whenever. Things don't just "fall off" the way they used to. Blasted age.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...